The Benjamin Moore 2022 paint colors and Color of the Year 2022 were recently announced and they’re beautiful! Each fall they reveal their picks for paint colors for the coming year and I look forward to this like some people look forward to a pumpkin spice latte. I’m truly a paint color nerd.
How are the 2022 Benjamin Moore Paint Colors Chosen?
You might be asking, “How do they choose the color of the year?”. And this is what the experts at Benjamin Moore have to say about it:
“Our annual celebration of color is the result of a yearlong exploration into design, art, fashion, cultural and environmental influences around the globe. From Benjamin Moore’s library of over 3,500 colors, we carefully curate a Color Trends palette that balances
modern-day relevance with long-lasting appeal. At the center is one special hue that defines the palette—and the moment: the Color of the Year.”
See more about their process here: How We Choose the Color of the Year
Drawing from everyday observations, hobbies, personal rituals and cultural influences, the Color Trends 2022 palette features 14 Benjamin Moore paint colors that encourage experimentation and make room for any design style.
- October Mist 1495
- Mysterious AF-565
- Hint of Violet 2114-60
- Morning Dew OC-140
- High Park 467
- Collector’s Item AF-45
- Venetian Portico AF-185
- Wild Flower 2090-40
- Pale Moon OC-108
- Steam AF-15
- Fernwood Green 2145-40
- Quiet Moments 1563
- Natural Linen 966
- Gloucester Sage HC-100
To learn more about the Benjamin Moore Paint Colors for 2022 palette, or to locate a Benjamin Moore retailer, visit benjaminmoore.com.
More Paint Color Trends from Benjamin Moore
Take a look at my reviews of the Color of the Year and Trends for past years in these posts:
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. For full disclosure go here.
Tips for choosing your paint colors:
- If you don’t know where to begin, start with any items that won’t be changing like large furniture pieces, flooring, or any other permanent features in the area to be painted.
- Look for inspiration on pinterest, instagram, or in home magazines.
- Once you’ve decided on the direction you want to go, narrow your choices down to 5 or less paint colors, ideally.
- Keep in mind that paint colors will look more intense on your walls than they do on paint color strips with multiple shades. This means light colors will look lighter and dark colors will look darker.
- Look at the color you’re considering in the room that you will be painting, not outside in the bright sun.
- See how the paint color looks in that room during different lighting situations…on a sunny day, on a cloudy day, with and without the lights on, and at night. They look different in each of these situations.
- I strongly recommend testing the color either by painting areas of the room (next to the trim) with a color sample, or by using a peel and stick paint samples. You can get them here: Samplize Peel and Stick Paint Samples. They’re reusable, affordable, and you don’t even have to wash out a brush.
- Most importantly, remember that there’s not a “perfect” color. There are likely a few good choices that will look beautiful in your room.
Join the VIP group and get these free paint can labels, a color tracker, and paint sheen guide for your files.
Benjamin Moore 2022 Color of the Year
What color is October Mist? October Mist a gently shaded sage that quietly anchors while encouraging creative expression through color.
And much like the green stem of a flower, October Mist creates a canvas for the Color Trends 2022 palette – and the imagination – to blossom.
With all that’s been happening over the past 18 months, we all want a place to come home to that’s peaceful and relaxing. Soft greens like October Mist will help create a safe haven in your space.
What colors go with October Mist?
With it’s muted, gray undertones, it’s best to go with similar muted shades like these classic colors:
- Beach Glass
- Southern Charm
- Philadelphia Cream
What trim colors go with October Mist?
Instead of a stark, crisp white, opt for a slightly off white like these:
- White Dove
- China White
- Soft Chamois
Samples of October Mist are found here:
Peel and Stick October Mist Paint Sample
Benjamin Moore Color Trends for 2022
“As the spaces in our homes continue to evolve, we uncover more opportunities to express our individuality and leverage the power of color to design environments that serve different functions and styles,” said Andrea Magno, Benjamin Moore Director of Color Marketing & Development. “October Mist 1495 and the corresponding Color Trends 2022 palette reflects an effortless harmony of colors, while inspiring unique combinations for any paint project.”
Here’s the entire collection of color trends form 2022 from Benjamin Moore. There’s a nice mix of soft neutrals with a few pops of strong colors. And the overall palette is soothing and the colors are all beautiful.
I could see almost all of them somewhere in our home, and have actually used and recommended several of them to clients over the past 25 years. Take a look and keep scrolling to see the colors in real rooms.
Morning Dew is 2 shades lighter than October Mist and is the perfect complement. It’s has cool undertones of green, grey, and beige and would be a nice cool neutral for any south or west facing rooms.
Get a sample of Morning Dew here: Peel and Stick Morning Dew Paint Sample
If you’re looking for a nice white for your walls and trim, consider trying Steam. It has hints of warm undertones and will appear white on your walls.
When you hold a pure white against it, you’ll see a slight creamy tint. Also, it looks clean and fresh in this bathroom.
For more white paint ideas, visit this post: Best Benjamin Moore Whites and Off White for Every Room
Get a sample of Steam here: Peel and Stick Steam Paint Sample
Bring the look of nature inside with Fernwood Green. It’s a somewhat muted, medium tone green with yellow and beige undertones. This would be a great color for a bedroom, guest bathroom, or laundry room.
See many more ideas for decorating with green in this post: 30 Beautiful Ways to Decorate with Green
Get a sample of Fernwood Green here: Peel and Stick Fernwood Green Paint Sample
For a moody room or accent wall, try Gloucester Sage. As the name implies, there’s a tiny dash of green in this deep color from nature.
It appears gray in some lighting and green in others so it’s important to sample this color before using it on a large surface.
See more moody paint colors in this post: 25 Best Deep Paint Colors
Get a sample of Gloucester Sage here: Peel and Stick Gloucester Sage Paint Sample
Another moody color, Mysterious is also one that looks different depending on the lighting situation. It’s a deep grayish blue, or maybe a bluish gray, that looks more blue in the photo than it does on the chip, so sampling it is a good idea.
This would be a great color for a south or west-facing bedroom.
Do you love blue? Read about more ways to decorate with blue in this post: 20+ Fresh Ideas for Decorating with Blue
Get a sample of Mysterious here: Peel and Stick Mysterious Paint Sample
If you’ve ever painted a room yellow, then you know that it intensifies when it goes on the wall. That means it usually appears brighter and deeper, or more yellow on a large surface.
Pale Moon is a good choice if you want a soft but distinctly yellow color. But don’t let the paint chip fool you because it looks lighter there than it does on the wall, but again, that’s common with any yellows (and pinks and peaches too).
Get a sample of Pale Moon here: Peel and Stick Pale Moon Sample
One of my favorite colors that I’ve recommended many times over the years, Quiet Moments is a soft mix of blue, green, and gray. It’s perfect for a bedroom, bathroom, or laundry.
You can see it in more rooms and read about it here: Benjamin Moore Quiet Moments Paint Color Spotlight
Get a sample of Quiet Moments here: Peel and Stick Quiet Moments Paint Sample
Hint of Violet
For something a little different, take a look at Hint of Violet. It’s a soft, warm, muted violet that has hints of blue, mauve, and grey and is a fun accent wall color in the bedroom below.
For more bedroom paint colors, visit this post: Best Bedroom Paint Colors Shown in Real Rooms
Get a sample of Hint of Violet here: Peel and Stick Hint of Violet Paint Sample
For a bolder look, consider using Wild Flower as your wall color or on an accent wall. It’s a medium toned red with a tiny amount of an orange undertone.
In some lighting it might appear more terra cotta, in others it will look more pink. Sampling is recommended for this color.
Get a sample of Wild Flower here: Peel and Stick Wild Flower Paint Sample
So what do you think of the 2022 Color Trends from Benjamin Moore? Leave me a comment and let me know which one is your favorite. I love the palette for the most part, and have recommended several of these colors before.
Want more paint color ideas? Here are a few more reviews of paint color trends to inspire you, and you can see all of my favorite paint color posts starting back in 2013 here: Favorite Paint Colors
- 2022 Sherwin Williams Color Trends and Color of the Year
- 2021 Sherwin Williams Color Trends and Color of the Year
- 2019 Sherwin Williams Color Trends and Color of the Year
How do I get the best looking paint job?
If you’re doing the painting, there are several products I recommend for the best finish, starting with high quality paint. With good paint, you’ll get better coverage which means you won’t have to use as many coats (or buy as High quality paints also have a smoother finish because they’re made with finely ground solids.
With Benjamin Moore, you usually have a choice of price points in what I call “good, better, and best”. If possible, go with “better” or “best” See my list of supplies to use for a professional looking paint job here: Must Have Painting Supplies, or see my list below.
DIY Painting Supplies Needed for a High Quality Finish
These are a few of my favorite painting tools that I’ve used for 25+ years:
- High quality paint brush – for minimal brush marks when cutting in around the edges, a good paint brush will make all the difference. They last forever what taken good care
of so it’s definitely worth the investment.
- Good roller frame – a quality roller frame will keep your roller cover from slipping off the frame
while you’re painting.
- Adjustable extension pole – save your back and legs by using an adjustable extension pole. It will allow you to reach the top of the wall without having to climb up and down on the ladder.
- Re-usable paint roller tray – a good roller tray will make loading the paint on your roller much
- Micro fiber roller cover – once you use one of these you’ll never use anything else. It takes a
swipe or two to get them filled up with paint, but the finish you’ll get is amazing.
- Non-cracking caulk – cheap caulk will crack and look terrible after the first change of temperatures. Spend a couple extra dollars and you won’t regret it.